April 17, 2014 3:37 PM Smaller Church, Bigger Faith, 3: Ecclesiastical Discipline By Dr. Jeff Mirus
In the previous installment emphasizing the “impact of grace”, I noted the problematic nature of any kind of institutionalized program to press deficient Catholics to select themselves out of the Church. Once again, I am...
April 10, 2014 5:05 PM What Bishop Jugis did NOT say about Sister Jane Dominic's talk By Phil Lawler
Charlotte’s Bishop Peter Jugis has finally issued a statement regarding the unseemly controversy at Charlotte Catholic High School. In that statement the bishop clearly affirms the teachings of the Catholic Church. But he does not...
April 16, 2014 The Holy Spirit and Evangelization: A Primer By Thomas Van
One thing I have come to realize over the past few years, especially during the reign of Pope Francis, is that in a culture hostile to religious orthodoxy, it is easy for Catholics to fall into the trap of treating orthodoxy as an end in...
April 15, 2014 Improving the Church
I suspect we all dream of improving the Church, except that perhaps we tend to dream along the lines of our own spiritual deficiencies. Nonetheless, I am making so bold as to start a series of essays exploring how the Church might improve...
- Pope Francis's Easter Message 'Urbi et Orbi' (To the City and the World): full text, link to video
- Pope Francis: Easter Vigil homily (full text)
- Pope Francis: homily at Holy Thursday evening Mass (full text)
- Stations of the Cross at the Colosseum: full text of meditations
- Good Friday at St. Peter's Basilica: full text of Father Cantalamessa's homily
- At Holy Thursday Chrism Mass, Pope Francis preaches on the joy of the priesthood
- Pope celebrates Holy Thursday evening Mass at center for disabled
- See more headlines! (News homepage)
Easter: April 20th
Easter is the feast of feasts, the unalloyed joy and gladness of all Christians. In the very center of the Mass, the great prayer of thanksgiving, from the first words of the Preface, expresses the unrivalled motive for this joy: if it... More
Includes prayers, readings, family activities and recipes for the day.
April 17, 2014 Mandatum: Love One Another By Jennifer Gregory Miller
So when he had washed their feet and put his garments back on and reclined at table again, he said to them, "Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me 'teacher' and 'master,' and rightly so, for...
April 09, 2014 The Surprising Implications of Man’s Natural Ends By Dr. Jeff Mirus
Recently I’ve revisited the massive shakeup of Catholic theology occasioned by Henri de Lubac’s remarkable study Surnaturel (French for "supernatural"), published just after the close of World War II. The whole...