Most Popular News Within Last 30 Days
The apostolic letter, issued motu proprio (at the Pope’s own initiative), is currently available on the Vatican website only in Italian.
The Pontiff also praised Pope Benedict XVI’s efforts to address clerical sexual abuse.
“I believe that we have arrived precisely at that exercise of synodality that St. Paul VI wanted at the end of the [Second Vatican] Council because he realized that the Western Church had lost the synodal dimension that the Eastern Church has instead,” Pope Francis said.
“It’s true that today it’s a bit fashionable to talk about [homosexuality],” he said. “The Church receives everyone. Another thing is when there are organizations that want to enter. The principle is this: The Church receives all those who can be baptized. Organizations cannot be baptized. People can.”
“If the repression lasts a long time, basically the Church is extinguished,” he said.
The archbishop said that “the teaching of the Church must remain unified and cannot differ from one country to the next.” He noted that the Polish bishops’ conference had responded to the German “Synodal Path” with a 150-page document, sent to all Synod members, “stressing its incompatibility with Catholic teaching.”
Noting the controversial issues that had been discussed at the October session, the leader of the Polish episcopal conference underlined the importance of unity on Church teaching. He said that the frequent calls for an “inclusive” Church were problematical because that approach “implies an acceptance of how a person defines him or herself, as if defining oneself were in obvious conformity with reality, inherently unquestionable, and therefore demanding affirmation.”
Aleksander Banka, a Synod delegate who also spoke at the press conference, remarked: “The expectations of Western European Churches are out of step with the needs of churches in other parts of the globe”.
“The parish did not follow diocesan policy regarding the filming on Church property, which includes a review of the scenes and script,” the diocese said in a statement.
Under the proposed changes, cardinals who are 80 years of age or older, and thus ineligible to vote in the papal election, would be barred from the general congregations that take place before the vote. In addition, cardinals would no longer address all of their confrères: instead, they would speak with one another in small groups, with their remarks being summarized for their brother cardinals.
Diane Montagna, a journalist accredited to the Holy See Press Office, reported that in addition, “Cardinal Ghirlanda is seeking to convince Pope Francis to undertake a truly revolutionary act, by revolutionizing who elects the Pope.”
“Professing to ‘return to the early Church,’ the idea would be to have cardinal-electors, the majority of whom Pope Francis has chosen, comprise 75% of the vote, while the remaining 25% percent would be made up of laymen and women and religious sisters, papally appointed by Pope Francis in advance of the Apostolic See becoming vacant,” wrote Montagna, who cited “well-informed Vatican sources.”
The Brooklyn diocese announced that Msgr. Jamie Gigantiello, who had been pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel-Annunciation parish had been relieved of his responsibilities—both as pastor and as the diocesan vicar for development.