Catholic Activity: Jesse Tree, Day 10 - Moses
Symbols: Baby in Basket, Stone Tablets, Burning Bush, Red Sea, Cloud, Manna, Ark of the Covenant
God replied to Moses: I am who I am. Then he added: This is what you will tell the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you. God spoke further to Moses: This is what you will say to the Israelites: The LORD, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is my name forever; this is my title for all generations. (Exodus 3:14-15)
Moses led the Israelites, the Chosen people, out of Egypt to the Promised Land. Later, he received the Ten Commandments from the hand of God on Mount Sinai.
God appeared to Moses in the form of a bush, which burned but was not consumed, a symbol of the Virgin Birth of Christ. The Law of Moses as symbolized in the tablets which God gave to Moses on Mount Sinai, was fulfilled in Christ who brings a law of love.
Recommended Scripture Readings:
- Exodus 2:1-10
- Exodus 2:23-25--3:1-20
- Exodus 3:1-10
- Exodus 31:16-18
Selections from The Catechism of the Catholic Church:
Moses and Exodus
- CCC 128-130 The unity of the Old and New Testaments
- CCC 203-213 God reveals His Name
- CCC 530 The Flight into Egypt
- CCC 574-594 Jesus and Israel
- CCC 1081 The Father--Source and Goal of the Liturgy
- CCC 1151 Signs Taken Up by Christ
- CCC 1363 The sacrificial memorial of Christ and of his Body, the Church
- CCC 2807-2815 "Hallowed be Thy Name"
- CCC 2574-2577 Moses and the prayer of the mediator
- CCC 697 Cloud and Light
- CCC 109-119 The Holy Spirit, Interpreter of Scripture
- CCC 1094 The Holy Spirit prepares for the reception of Christ
- CCC 1217-1222 Prefigurations of Baptism in the Old Covenant
- CCC 203-211 God Reveals His Name
- CCC 724 "Rejoice, you who are full of grace"
- CCC 2598 Revelation of Prayer
- CCC 2777-2778 "We Dare to Say"
The Ten Commandments or Decalogue
- CCC 1450-1454 Contrition
- CCC 1961-1965 The Old Law
- CCC 2056-2063 The Decalogue in Sacred Scripture
- CCC 2070-2073 The Decalogue and the natural law
Printable Jesse Tree guide: The Jesse Tree: Advent 2021
Activity Source: Original Text (JGM) by Jennifer Gregory Miller, © Copyright 2003-2022 by Jennifer Gregory Miller