Pope reflects on Mary as Mother of hope
May 10, 2017
Resuming his series of Wednesday general audiences devoted to Christian hope, Pope Francis spoke on May 10 about Mary as Mother of hope.
(During his general audience on May 3, the Pontiff spoke about his apostolic journey to Egypt.)
“Our Lady’s experience of motherhood models that of so many mothers in our world,” the Pope told the crowds gathered in St. Peter’s Square. “Hers is a witness of courage in accepting her vocation and welcoming the new life entrusted to her. It is also a witness of quiet yet trusting obedience to God’s will amid the trials of life.”
“The Gospels speak of a certain ‘eclipse’ of Mary during the public ministry of Jesus,” he continued. “She follows her Son in silence, yet in his Passion, when most of the disciples flee, she remains with him to the very end.
The Pope added:
The image of Mary standing at the foot of the cross and grieving the death of her innocent Son has inspired artists of every age to present her as a model of persevering hope in God’s promises. That hope was the fruit of a life of prayer and daily effort to be conformed to God’s will, and was fulfilled in Jesus’ rising to new life.
As Mother of Hope, may Our Lady remain at our side, sustain us by her prayers and guide our steps as we seek to follow her Son every day of our lives.
Previous general audiences on hope:
- Isaiah 40: “Comfort, comfort my people…” (December 7)
- Isaiah 52: “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good tidings…” (December 14)
- Christ’s birth is the source of hope (December 21)
- Abraham’s hope against all hope (December 28)
- Rachel “is weeping for her children”, but... “there is hope for your descendants” (Jer. 31) (January 4)
- The false hopes of idols (January 11)
- Jonah: hope and prayer (January 18)
- Judith, the Courage of a Woman Restores Hope to a People (January 25)
- The helmet of hope (1 Thess. 5:4-11) (February 1)
- Hope, Source of Mutual Comfort and Peace (1 Thess. 5:12-22) (February 8)
- Hope Does Not Disappoint (February 15)
- For in this hope, we were saved (cf. Rom. 8:19-27) (February 22)
- Lent as a journey of hope (March 1; no audience March 8, during the Curia’s Lenten retreat)
- Rejoice in hope (cf. Rom. 12:9-13) (March 15)
- On Hope Founded in the Word (March 22)
- Hope against All Hope (March 29)
- On accounting for our hope (April 5)
- Hopes of the world and hope of the Cross (cf. John 12:24-25) (April 12)
- The Risen Christ our Hope (April 19)
- “I Am with You Always” (April 26)
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- 2017.05.10 - General Audience (YouTube Vatican)
- L’Udienza Generale, 10.05.2017 (Holy See Press Office)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!