Ordinary Time: October 20th
Optional Memorial of St. Paul of the Cross, priest
St. Paul of the Cross devoted himself to the service of the poor and the sick. He is best known for his apostolic zeal and his great penances. He founded the congregation of the Passionists.According to the 1962 Missal of St. John XXIII the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, today is the feast of St. John Cantius (or Kanty), one of the patrons of Poland. In the Ordinary Form, St. John's feast has been moved to December 23, and is an optional memorial.Historically today is the feast of St. Irene, a Portuguese nun who was martyred in defense of her chastity in the year 653. Her shrine, the “Santarem,” has played a key role for the great quality and beauty of the Catholic Faith that the Portuguese people have lived, even until today.
St. Paul of the Cross
St. Paul of the Cross was born at Ovada in the Republic of Genoa on January 3, 1694. His infancy and youth were spent in great innocence and piety. He was inspired to found a congregation, having while in ecstasy beheld the habit which he and his companions were to wear. After consulting his director, Bishop Gastinara of Alexandria in Piedmont, he reached the conclusion that God wished him to establish a congregation in honor of the Passion of Jesus Christ.
- Read more about the Congregation of the Passionists.
- Make a holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament and spend some time meditating on Christ's passion.
- Make some Passionist cupcakes for the feast day.
- Study and discuss the symbolism of the emblem of the Passionists.
- Read Flowers of the Passion by St. Paul of the Cross.
- Learn more about St. Paul of the Cross.
- One of the apostolates of the Passionist order is preaching at missions, retreats or parish renewals. Try to attend if your parish offers a retreat/mission/renewal.