Catholic Activity: Timely Hints for the Family's Lenten Observance
Here are some practical suggestions that family members can incorporate into the Lenten season.
- Practice mortifications. Foregoing family desserts occasionally might be one.
- Refrain from using the television set on stated days and give the radio a rest.
- Avoid public entertainment; family entertainment is an interesting diversion.
- Make family life more pleasant by: Mother, not being irritable; Father, not speaking harshly; Children, being helpful and obeying punctually.
- Attend weekday Holy Mass whenever this is possible.
- Have family Lenten devotion if attending those in your parish church is impossible.
- Set up stations in the home; pictures will do. Bear in mind, however, that the station-indulgence cannot be gained in this manner.
- During Holy Week remove all ornaments from the mantel piece and have only a crucifix there.
- Have a silent Good Friday.
- On Holy Saturday attend Mass as a family group to begin the Easter celebration.
- Decorate colored eggs with symbols of the Resurrection.
- After the Easter morning Holy Mass have a festive breakfast.
- Conduct an egg hunt during the course of the morning.
- Make sure the smaller children are told the Resurrection story.
Activity Source: Our Christian Home by Rev. Joseph A. Fischer, Seraphic Press, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1954