131—Virtue Is Not Enough—J. Budziszewski
This is a listener-supported podcast! Thanks for your help!
One of the best contemporary natural law philosophers, J. Budziszewski, joins the show to discuss his new book, How (and How Not) to Be Happy, spiritual warfare in the classroom, and his journey from “macho nihilism” to faith.
- Why virtue alone won’t make you happy
- Why the Greeks said “Call no man happy until he is dead”
- A critique of the Stoic revival
- How belief in the afterlife allows us to be honest about suffering in this life
- Teaching secular students about natural law
- Breaking through people’s self-deception
- Budszizewski’s youthful embrace of nihilism and how God broke down his intellectual pride
How (and How Not) To Be Happy https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/How-and-How-Not-to-Be-Happy/J-Budziszewski/9781684511075
Underground Thomist website http://www.undergroundthomist.org
Join Online Great Books with 25% off your first three months via this link https://hj424.isrefer.com/go/ogbmemberships/tmirus/
Other recommended books by J. Budziszewski:
What We Can’t Not Know: A Guide https://www.amazon.com/What-We-Cant-Not-Know/dp/1586174819
The Meaning of Sex https://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Sex-J-Budziszewski/dp/1610170997
Theme music: “Franciscan Eyes”, written and performed by Thomas Mirus.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!