Obama names theology professor, campaign donor as Holy See ambassador
May 28, 2009
President Barack Obama has nominated Miguel Diaz, associate professor of theology at St. John's University and the College of Saint Benedict in Minnesota, as US ambassador to the Holy See. The author of On Being Human: U.S. Hispanic and Rahnerian Perspectives, Diaz is a board member of the Catholic Theological Society of America.
Diaz-- who supported the nomination of former Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius as secretary of Health and Human Services, despite her record on abortion-- donated $1,000 to the Obama Victory Fund in September 2008.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Theology professor nominated to be U.S. ambassador to the Holy See (College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University)
- Hispanic theologian chosen for Vatican ambassador (AP)
- 26 prominent Catholics back Sebelius pick (National Catholic Reporter)
- Archbishop Naumann laments Sebelius appointment, warns of threat to Catholic hospitals (CWN, Mar 5)
- Federal Election Commission
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!