Vatican finds founder of Institute of the Incarnate Word guilty of sexual misconduct
December 14, 2016
Father Carlos Miguel Buela, the founder of the Institute of the Incarnate Word, has been found guilty of sexual misconduct after a Vatican investigation.
Father Buela, who established the traditional movement in Argentina in 1984, had stepped down from leadership in 2010. At the time he had said that declining health had prompted him to resign at the age of 69, but he had already been under investigation by Bishop Eduardo Maria Taussig of San Rafael, Argentina.
The San Rafael diocese has announced that the Vatican established “the veracity of the accusations and the imputability of Father Buela of improper behavior with adults.” There were no accusations that Father Buela had molested any minors, the diocese said.
Father Buela has been forbidden to have contact with members of the Institute that he founded. He is also forbidden to make public statements or engage in public activities.
- Institute of the Incarnate Word founder guilty of sexual misconduct (CNA)
- Founder of traditional group resigns amid conflicting charges (CWN, 6/3/10)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!