Catholic Culture Resources
Catholic Culture Resources
Catholic World News

Top Massachusetts court rules woman’s former lesbian partner has equal parental rights

October 05, 2016

The top court in Massachusetts has given a lesbian woman full parental rights over two children, although she is not biologically related to the children and was never married to their mother.

The Supreme Judicial Court ruled that Karen Partanen should be considered the parent of the two children, who were artificially conceived and born to Julie Gallagher at a time when Partanen and Gallagher were partners. Although the two women were not legally married and later split, the court ruled that their relationship at the time of the children’s birth was sufficient to establish parental rights.


For all current news, visit our News home page.

Further information:
Sound Off! supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

Show 2 Comments? (Hidden)Hide Comments
  • Posted by: Randal Mandock - Oct. 07, 2016 3:52 AM ET USA

    Artificial conception (heterologous in vitro fertilization?), lesbian unnatural vice, temporary "hook ups" for the sake of lust, a civil court recognizing a "right" of one of these deviants to raise children? Pray that the children do not commit suicide before they reach independence from their prison.

  • Posted by: loumiamo - Oct. 06, 2016 9:29 AM ET USA

    This is devolution of law in favor of judicial fiat.Used to be 2 parties could agree orally and consider it binding.Eventually legal docs replaced the mere giving of one's word,to insure clarity.Now the court says no need for docs.Now w/out a signed agreement a court is declaring,per its own desire,whose story is more "worthy" & thus binding.And the familiar,common law relationship Gallagher has with her kids?That gets sacrificed 4 the "common good". Justice,or repeat of Dec of Indep grievances?