Brazilian archbishop resigns following allegation
July 06, 2016
Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Archbishop Aldo di Cillo Pagotto, 66, from the governance of the Archdiocese of Paraíba, Brazil.
The prelate, who was accused of a sexual relationship with an 18-year-old male, was also under investigation by a local prosecutor for alleged “connivance” in the sexual exploitation of minors. In 2015, following an apostolic visitation, he was forbidden to ordain new priests and deacons, according to Brazilian media reports.
Archbishop Pagotto, who denied the allegations, has led the archdiocese since 2004. He also faced criticism for ties to spiritualism and for joining a street protest against President Dilma Rousseff.
In his resignation letter, the prelate said his governance of the diocese led to a campaign of slander by anonymous priests, the Globo television network reported.
A retired bishop, Bishop Genival Saraiva de França, will govern the archdiocese as apostolic administrator until a new archbishop is named.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Rinunce e nomine (Holy See Press Office)
- Papa Francisco nomeia administrador apostólico para arquidiocese da Paraíba (CNBB)
- Papa aceita renúncia de Dom Aldo e anuncia novo Administrador para PB (Globo)
- Investigado, Dom Aldo continua sem poder ordenar padres (Jornal da Paraiba)
- Arcebispo da Paraíba é suspenso pelo Vaticano; Religiosos criticavam presença do Bispo em protestos (Patos Online)
- PEDOFILIA NA IGREJA PARAIBANA: Procurador Eduardo Varandas está apurando tudo e ouvindo todos (Polemica Paraíba)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: bruno.cicconi7491 -
Jul. 06, 2016 9:44 PM ET USA
An incident like that recently took me off my balance. We know that there are such things in Church but they never cease to feel us the pain of bleeding. Im glad that at least on this case the Holy See is not sleeping.
Posted by: feedback -
Jul. 06, 2016 10:05 AM ET USA
This is getting ridiculous. How an active homosexual gets to be ordained a priest of the Roman Catholic Church and then a bishop and is appointed archbishop?