10 prelates to draft Synod of Bishops’ final document
October 02, 2015
Cardinal Lorenzo Baldisseri, the secretary general of the Synod of Bishops, has announced the names of the nine prelates who will work with him to draft the final report of the upcoming synod on the family.
Each of the three weeks of the synod, which begins on October 4 and concludes on October 25, is devoted to the discussion of one chapter of the synod’s instrumentum laboris, or working document. The final report, based on the discussions, will be presented to the synod fathers on October 24, whereupon it will be presented to the Holy Father, who is free to accept or reject the various recommendations.
The members of the committee for the drafting of the final report are Cardinal Baldisseri and:
- Cardinal Peter Erdo (Hungary)
- Archbishop Bruno Forte (Italy)
- Cardinal Oswald Gracias (India)
- Cardinal Donald Wuerl (United States)
- Cardinal John Dew (New Zealand)
- Archbishop Victor Manuel Fernández (Argentina)
- Bishop Mathieu Madega Lebouakehan (Gabon)
- Bishop Marcello Semeraro (Italy)
- Father Adolfo Nicolás (superior general, Society of Jesus)
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Briefing per fornire informazioni su tema e metodo della XIV Assemblea Generale Ordinaria del Sinodo dei Vescovi (Holy See Press Office)
- Synod of Bishops releases working document for October meeting (CWN, 6/23)
- Full text of working document
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: filioque -
Oct. 02, 2015 6:40 PM ET USA
Cardinals Pell, Sarah, Napier and those who stand with them will have to stop this train on the first day: denounce the Instrumentum laboris, refuse to be corralled into small groups that are held incommunicado, and demand an open Synod with a report to be written by a truly representative committee.
Posted by: filioque -
Oct. 02, 2015 6:36 PM ET USA
The fix is in.
Posted by: adamah -
Oct. 02, 2015 4:47 PM ET USA
This isn't exactly an encouraging list.
Posted by: Jason C. -
Oct. 02, 2015 11:25 AM ET USA
Lucius49, since Forte's already written the results of the 2015 Synod, it would be unfair to deprive him of the honors awaiting him in the press.
Posted by: Lucius49 -
Oct. 02, 2015 9:53 AM ET USA
Why is Archbishop Forte on this committee since he was one of the perpetrators of the infamous interim report of the last Synod containing questionable remarks on marriage and homosexuality which the Synod fathers never issued or discussed?