Historic cathedral returned to Russian Orthodox Church
April 16, 2015
The Russian government has returned Smolny Convent and Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church, according to a report from AsiaNews.
The convent, whose centerpiece is the cathedral, is located in St. Petersburg and was built for the daughter of Peter the Great as she entered religious life. Construction of the cathedral was completed in 1764.
In 1922, the Communist government of the Soviet Union confiscated the church and turned it into a warehouse. In recent decades, it has been used as a concert hall, and worship at the site resumed in 2010.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- St. Petersburg Smolny Cathedral restored to Church of, a symbol of the city of the tsars (AsiaNews.it)
- Smolny Convent (Wikipedia)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!