Vatican video on women withdrawn after wide criticism
February 02, 2015
At a press conference in Rome on February 2, the president of the Pontifical Council for Culture admitted that a video produced by his office on the role of women had drawn enough criticism so that it was withdrawn.
Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi said that he had pulled the English-language version of the video from circulation after receiving complaints from bishops who felt it was “unworthy of a church initiative.” The video, featuring an attractive blonde actress, had drawn criticism from both liberal and conservative prelates, he said, because it was seen as promoting a frivolous notion of feminity.
The video had been prepared to promote a meeting being held in Rome this week, for members and consultors of the Pontifical Council for Culture, to discuss the role of women in the Church and in the world. One session of the conference, on the opening day, will be open to the public, and will include interviews and videos on the topic.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Assembly on “Women's cultures” (VIS)
- Vatican culture minister acknowledges women's video problem (AP)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!