Catholic Recipe: Springerle III
In countries where St. Nicholas calls, there is always a large tray of assorted biscuits or cookies ready for him and any other visitors that might call during the Advent season.
1. Grease baking trays with melted butter and sprinkle with aniseed.
2. Beat the eggs until they begin to thicken.
3. Add to the sugar and whisk until thick.
4. Beat in the lemon rind and vanilla essence (extract).
5. Add the flour one-third at a time until the mixture forms a soft ball.
6. Knead for 10 minutes.
7. Roll out until 1/4 inch thick.
8. Cut into shapes as required and put on to the prepared baking trays.
9. Set aside for 24 hours.
10. Bake in oven at 250° for 20-30 minutes or until firm but not brown.
11. Cool and leave uncovered for 2-3 days to soften. Then store in an airtight container. They will keep for several weeks.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990