The Father William Most Collection
The Syn Christo Theme in St. Paul
[Published electronically for use in classes taught by Fr. Most and for private theological study.]
1. We are members of Christ
1. 1 Cor 12.12-27
2. Rom 12.4-5
3. Col 1.18
4. Rom 6.3. We are baptized into Christ
5. Eph 4.12-15
2. We do all with Christ
1. Rm 6.3-8. We who were baptized into Christ were baptized into His death. We were buried with Him. We rise with Him. We should live a new life with Him.
2. Col.3.1-4. Since we were raised with Christ we should set our heart on heavenly things. We have died, our life is hidden with Christ. When He appears in glory we will appear with Him.
3. Eph.2.5-6. When we were dead in sins, he made us alive together in Christ... and raised us up together [with Him] and caused us to sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
3.So must be like Him in all things, including reparation for sin.
1. Rom 8.9. If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
2. Rom 8.13. If you live according to the flesh you will die, but if you live according to the spirit of Christ, you will live.
3.Rom 8.17. If we are children of God, we are heirs also, heirs of God, heirs with Christ, if only we suffer with Him so we may be glorified with Him.
4. Col 1.24. I fill up in my body what is lacking of the tribulations of Christ for His body which is the Church.
5. 1 Cor 11.1. Be imitators of me, as I also am of Christ.
6. 2 Cor 5.17. So if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.
We are all members of Christ. We do all things with Him,(in a sacramental and mystical way, and in actual life according to the position on the scale of time) as His members: we suffer with Him, are buried with Him, we rise with Him, we ascend and sit in heavenly places with Him. The more we are like Him in this first phase, suffering, the more we will be like Him in glory. Paul even tries to make up for the deficiencies of other members of the body of Christ in this work of reparation: Col.1.24.