170—Art Participates in God’s Governance—Bradley Elliott, O.P.
This is a listener-supported podcast! Thanks for your help!
|Free eBook: Liturgical Year 2023-2024, Vol. 3
Fr. Bradley Elliott, a professional drummer turned Dominican friar, joins the podcast to discuss his book, The Shape of the Artistic Mind: A Search for the Metaphysical Link Between Art and Morals in the Thought of Thomas Aquinas. Themes include:
- Man’s capacity to participate in God’s creative activity and governance of the world
- How human artistic activity not only imitates but enhance nature
- The combination of Aristotelian and neo-Platonic streams in St. Thomas’s theory of art
- How Aristotle redeemed the notion of nature from Plato, and Plotinus redeemed the notion of imitation from Plato
- Comparing the virtue of art to the mortal and speculative virtues
Theme music: “Franciscan Eyes”, written and performed by Thomas Mirus. Download the Catholic Culture Podcast soundtrack.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!