- Married since 1979 to Leila Marie Lawler (see her popular blog for young mothers, Like Mother, Like Daughter)
- Father of 7 children, grandfather of 5.
- Massachusetts resident, active in local civic affairs
- Beekeeper, tennis player, music lover, x-country skier, Red Sox fan
More background, speaking, books:
Philip F. Lawler
Director, Catholic Culture/Editor, CWN
Phil Lawler is the editor of Catholic World News (CWN), the first English-language Catholic news service operating on the internet, which he founded in 1995. CWN provides daily headline news coverage for the Catholic Culture site, where Phil Lawler also offers regular analysis and commentary.
Born and raised in the Boston area, Phil attended Harvard College and did graduate work in political philosophy at the University of Chicago before entering a career in journalism. He has previously served as Director of Studies for the Heritage Foundation, as editor of Crisis magazine, and as editor of the international monthly magazine Catholic World Report.
Author and Activist
Phil Lawler is the author of seven books on political and religious topics. His essays, book reviews, and editorial columns have appeared in over 100 newspapers around the United States and abroad. A pro-life activist and veteran of many political campaigns, Phil was himself a candidate for the US Senate in 2000, running against the late Sen. Ted Kennedy.
Writing on CatholicCulture.org
Most recently on this site:
- Has the sensus fidei disappeared? - May 20
- Ireland on the brink: the referendum will be a test of tolerance - May 19
- The marketing failure of 'new' Catholicism - May 15
- American Catholics are flunking the test of evangelization - May 13
- The unholy political battle to denounce—or exploit—the Pope's environmental message - May 8