Catholic World News

Maine diocese reaches ‘7-figure’ abuse settlement with more than 100 people

August 22, 2026

Maine’s sole diocese reached a settlement with over 100 people who allege they were sexually abused by clergy.

Plaintiffs’ attorney Michael Bigos said that the settlement was a seven-figure settlement, the Bangor Daily News reported.

Bishop James Ruggieri of Portland discussed the settlement in a message to the faithful.

“In January 2025, the Maine Law Court ruled that a 2021 law removing the statute of limitations for certain allegations of past sexual abuse violated the Maine Constitution,” said Bishop Ruggieri. “Even though pending cases that were decades old no longer had legal standing based on the ruling, the diocese recognizes that the harm caused by sexual abuse is not erased with time and still desired to respond with compassion.”

The prelate added:

After the Law Court decision, I prayerfully assessed the path forward. In the days and months that followed, we engaged in a process to explore what steps might best serve the interests of justice and allow us as a Church to begin to move forward from a painful chapter. Through negotiation with their attorneys and impartial mediation, the diocese has reached financial resolutions with many people affected by the Law Court decision.

This is intended to acknowledge, in a tangible way, consistent with our resources and obligations, the seriousness of what has been reported and the lasting impact of abuse. Funds used are from those previously designated for liability claims, not from the Catholic Appeal. The diocese will continue, as it has for decades, to dedicate resources to reviewing and investigating every report, regardless of when the alleged misconduct occurred, and to offering counseling and support services to those who come forward ...

My heart goes out to anyone who has suffered abuse and for the pain and trauma endured. I am mindful, too, of the family members and loved ones who have carried this burden. If you or someone you know who has suffered abuse related to the Church needs assistance, I encourage you to reach out for support.

 


For all current news, visit our News home page.


 
Further information:
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.