Bishop Pelotte dead at 64; may have suffered assault in 2007
January 08, 2010
Retired Bishop Donald Pelotte of Gallup, who may have suffered a severe assault in 2007, has died of an undisclosed illness at the age of 64. Following his severe injuries, the bishop insisted he had fallen down stairs, and police did not pursue the case.
A year later, after the New Mexico bishop had resigned and a journalist won a legal battle to publish photographs of the injured prelate, Bishop Pelotte said, “When you see those pictures there’s no way that I could have gotten that damage by falling down the stairs.” He added, “But I don’t remember that.”
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Bishop Donald E. Pelotte, SSS, Passes Away (Diocese of Gallup)
- Illness claims former Gallup bishop (KRQE-TV)
- What caused Pelotte's injury? Catholic bishop insists he wasn't 'beat up' (Gallup Independent)
- Pelotte photos go prime time (Gallup Independent)
- Bishop Pelotte resigns; erratic behavior raised questions (CWN, 4/30/08)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!