Kidnapped priest was warned not to visit Yemen, Indian government official says
January 06, 2017
An Indian government official has said that Father Tom Uzhunnalil had been warned not to visit Yemen, where he was kidnapped last March.
The Indian missionary priest “went to Yemen ignoring the government’s instructions,” said M. J. Akbar, the minister of state for foreign affairs. Akbar said that the Indian government is seeking his release, but has been unable to ascertain where he is and who is holding him in custody.
A video in which Father Uzhunnalil pleads for help was released late in December. The priest, who said that his health was deteriorating, criticized the government of India for failing to secure his release.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Fr Tom Uzhunnalil was asked not to go to Yemen: center... (Onmanorama)
- Negotiations continue to secure release of priest kidnapped in Yemen (CWN, 12/29/16)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!