Catholic Culture Dedication
Catholic Culture Dedication
Catholic World News

Scholar: 90,000 Christians were killed for their faith in 2016

January 02, 2017

Massimo Introvigne, a sociologist who directs the Center for Studies on New Religions, told Vatican Radio that he estimates that 90,000 Christians were killed in 2016 because of their faith.

Vision Book Cover Prints

70% of them, he said, were killed in African tribal conflicts, while the other 30% were victims of terrorism, government persecution, or the destruction of their towns.

The estimate of 90,000 in 2016—one every six minutes—is down from 105,000 in 2014.

“Without wishing to forget or belittle the suffering of members of other religions, Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world,” said Introvigne.


For all current news, visit our News home page.

Further information:
Sound Off! supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

There are no comments yet for this item.