Five approved for canonization
June 20, 2016
Pope Francis has approved the canonization of five new saints.
At an ordinary consistory (a meeting of the cardinals present in Rome) on June 20, the Holy Father approved the canonization of:
- Salomon (Guillaume-Nicholas) Leclerq (1745- 1792), a French martyr and member of the Brothers of Christian Schools;
- Manuel Gonzalez Garcia (1877-1940), a Spanish bishop and founder of the Children of Reparation and the Congregation of the Eucharistic Missionaries of Nazareth;
- Ludovico Pavoni, 1784-1849, Italian priest, founder of the Sons of Mary;
- Alfonso Maria Fusco (1784- 1849), an Italian priest and founder of the Sons of Mary; and
- Elisabeth (Catez) of the Holy Trinity (1880- 1906), a French Carmelite.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!