10 Spanish priests removed in abuse inquiry; Pope calls to apologize to victim
November 19, 2014
Ten priests have been removed from ministry in the Archdiocese of Granada, Spain, after a sex-abuse investigation. And Pope Francis has placed a personal phone call to the man whose complaint to the Vatican prompted the investigation.
The young man—who has been identified only as “Daniel”—said that Pope Francis called him in response to an emotional 5-page letter he had written, describing the abuse he had suffered. He reported that the Pontiff said he felt “immense pain” as he read the letter, and asked the young man’s forgiveness.
The Granada archdiocese said that ten priests had been suspended after a preliminary inquiry produced enough evidence to suggest that the charges against them could be true. A few lay people are also implicated in the accusations, the archdiocese revealed.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Pope intervenes in Granada abuse case after alleged victim sends letter (El Pais)
- Pope calls abuse victim, asks for forgiveness 'in the name of the Church' (Buenos Aires Herald)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!