8 candidates advance toward beatification
January 27, 2014
The Vatican has issued a series of decrees advancing the causes of 8 candidates for beatification.
The Congregation for the Causes of Saints, with the approval of Pope Francis, issued a decree on January 27 confirming the martyrdom of Pietro Asua Mendia, a Spanish priest who died in 1936 during that country’s civil war. He is now eligible for beatification.
The Congregation also recognized the “heroic virtue” of 7 other candidates, who will now be eligible for beatification if a miracle is confirmed through their intercession. They are:
- Giuseppi Girelli (1886- 1978), an Italian priest;
- Zacarias of St. Theresa (1887-1957), born Zacarias Salterain Viscarra, a Spanish Carmelite priest;
- Marcelle Mallet (1805- 1871), a Canadian religious;
- Maria Benita Arias (1822-1894), an Argentine religious;
- Margerita De Brincat (!862-1952), a Maltese religious;
- Seraphine (1913-1988), born Noemy Cinque, a Brazilian nun; and
- Elisabetta Sanna (1788-1857), an Italian laywoman and Franciscan tertiary.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!