Catholic Recipe: Sour Cream Apple Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup or 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 to 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 6 large Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- extra butter and flour for greasing and flouring the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
Prep Time: N/A
For Ages: n/a
Food Categories (3)show
Crunchy topping, moist cake full of spicy and apple flavor. A perfect fall dessert!
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a springform tube pan.
1. Crumb Topping: Whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbs are pea sized. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, toss the apples with toss the apples with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of the nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, remaining cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, sour cream, and butter (and pecans). Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the apple slices.
5. Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pan. Spread with a spatula to evenly distribute the apples and create a fairly level top. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the top of the batter.
6. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out free of cake batter, approximate 1 hour, 5-10 minutes, beginning to check at 50 minutes.
7. Cool the cake for 10-15 minutes, then if a tube pan, remove the outer portion and allow to cool at least another 15 minutes before you attempt to pull it off the pan completely.
8. For additional presentation, drizzle the cake with confectioner's icing. Best served the cake warm, with ice cream, or whipped cream.Recipe Source: Recipes from Various WebsitesSubscribe to Insights...free!News, analysis & spirituality by email, twice-weekly from CatholicCulture.org.
Free eBook: Liturgical Year 2021-2022, Vol. 5