Catholic Recipe: Rum Rolls
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 1/2-3 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light rum
- unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons light rum
Yield: 12 rolls
Prep Time: 3 hours
For Ages: 15+
Food Categories (1)show
You and your guests will love the hint of rum in these rolls. Make ahead of time, if you wish, and freeze until New Year's.
1. Heat 1/4 cup sugar, salt, butter, and milk to warm (105-115 degrees).
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, yeast mixture, egg, and rum to milk mixture. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth-about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top.
4. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough. Roll into a rectangle about 8 x 16 inches. Brush with melted butter.
6. Combine 1/4 cup sugar with nutmeg. Sprinkle on dough. Working from the wide side, roll up tight in jelly-roll style. Cut roll into pieces 1 1/2 inches wide.
7. Place cut side up in buttered muffin pans. Brush tops with melted butter. Cover; let rise until double - about 30 minutes.
8. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven 25 to 30 minutes or until done. To make frosting, mix confectioners' sugar and light rum until smooth.
9. Remove from muffin pan. While warm, frost with the icing. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Free eBook: Witness of SufferingSubscribe to InsightsStay on top of the latest Catholic news and analysis from CatholicCulture.org.Copyright © 2019 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.