The compleat respectable Catholic journalist
So you want to be a respected Catholic journalist? You want to be invited to all the right conferences and symposia? Beginning tomorrow, try these simple steps.
- Wake up, shower, have a good cup of coffee, and jump on Twitter.
- Begin the day by denouncing any criticism of Pope Francis. (You’ll want these tweets posted early in the morning, East Coast time—right about when Vatican officials break for lunch.)
- Next, denounce anyone who has dared to disagree with your analyses of Vatican statements.
- Don’t just disagree; impugn the integrity of your adversaries. Question their motivations.
- Accuse them of calumny, blasphemy, and schism.
- Demand retractions. Threaten lawsuits.
- Then, to close out a busy day, deliver a magisterial lecture on how Catholic commentators must learn to disagree politely.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: koinonia -
May. 01, 2018 3:51 PM ET USA
Impugn, charges of schism, etc. Is this new? What is the deeper issue? Division. Discord. Doubt. Long ago AB Lefebvre said: 'Satan’s master stroke will therefore be to spread the revolutionary principles introduced into the Church by the authority of the Church itself, placing this authority in a situation of incoherence and permanent contradiction.' Is it possible that he really was on to something so long ago?
Posted by: Ken_H -
Apr. 30, 2018 4:13 PM ET USA
Let me guess... there is someone like this?