By Diogenes ( articles ) | Apr 23, 2004
Redemptionis Sacramentum in a nutshell:
- No pita or Wonder bread.
- No consecration of carafes of wine.
- No breaking of the host at the consecration
- No intinction (dipping of the host into the chalice) by the communicant
- No jacking around with the words of the Mass
- No substitution of non-Biblical texts for the readings
- No lay homilies
- No splitting up bits of the Eucharist Prayers among non-priests
- Communion on the tongue always to be possible
- Communion in the hand is possible unless there is risk of profanation
- No coffee table liturgies
- Celebrant not to leave the sanctuary during the Sign of Peace
- Celebrant may not wear pocketless trousers and Italian cologne
OK, I made the last one up. But if it were promulated and enforced, it would render the other corrections superfluous. Power to your right arm, Eminenza.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!