From confusion to heresy: how papal statements are exploited
Why are some people so keen on being certain about the existence of Hell? Do they need the fear factor to be good?
This euphoria about hell (for others, of course): the theological version of winning is the only thing that matters.
Where is this discussion headed?
- Phase 1: He didn’t say that; he was misunderstood.
- Phase 2: But if he did say it, it’s a good thing, because…
- Phase 3: People who believe otherwise are rigid doctors of the law, and..
- Phase 4: The Pope has spoken; his authority must be respected, his critics silenced.
- Phase 5: So we need a completely new paradigm; abandon old crusty beliefs.
- Phase 6: But why are you saying that this contradicts the Catholic tradition? Remember, he didn’t say it!
If you’ll recall, that’s pretty much the pattern we’ve seen develop in discussion of Amoris Laetitia.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!