‘6 things everyone should know about the HHS mandate’
Catholic World News - February 07, 2012
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has released a statement that offers “clarifications regarding the Health and Human Services regulations on mandatory coverage of contraceptives, sterilization and abortion-inducing drugs.”
The USCCB discusses how
- “The mandate does not exempt Catholic charities, schools, universities, or hospitals”
- “The mandate forces these institutions and others, against their conscience, to pay for things they consider immoral”
- “The mandate forces coverage of sterilization and abortion-inducing drugs and devices as well as contraception”
- “Catholics of all political persuasions are unified in their opposition to the mandate”
- “Many other religious and secular people and groups have spoken out strongly against the mandate”
- “The federal mandate is much stricter than existing state mandates”
In discussing the last point, for example, the USCCB notes:
HHS chose the narrowest state-level religious exemption as the model for its own.That exemption was drafted by the ACLU and exists in only 3 states (New York, California, Oregon).Even without a religious exemption, religious employers can already avoid the contraceptive mandates in 28 states by self-insuring their prescription drug coverage, dropping that coverage altogether, or opting for regulation under a federal law (ERISA) that pre-empts state law.The HHS mandate closes off all these avenues of relief.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($27,907 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!