Woman knocks down Pope, cardinal at Christmas Eve Mass
December 24, 2009
A woman, apparently deranged, charged at Pope Benedict during the entrance processional at Christmas Eve Mass at St. Peter's Basilica, knocking down the Holy Father and Cardinal Roger Etchegaray. Pope Benedict, apparently uninjured, got up and celebrated the Mass; Cardinal Etchegaray, the 87-year-old vice dean of the College of Cardinals, was taken to an emergency room for a broken leg.
In a December 25 statement, Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi identified the woman as Susanna Maiolo, a 25-year-old Italian and Swiss citizen. She had unsuccessfully attempted to run towards the Pontiff at Midnight Mass last year.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Pope Unhurt After Being Knocked Down at Mass (New York Times)
- !!WOMAN KNOCKS DOWN POPE:CAPTURED ON CELL PHONE!! (YouTube)
- Woman rushes at pope, pulls him down ahead of Christmas mass (AFP)
- Woman drags pope to ground in repeat attack
- COMUNICATO DEL DIRETTORE DELLA SALA STAMPA DELLA SANTA SEDE, REV.DO PADRE FEDERICO LOMBARDI, S.I.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!