Guam archdiocese sets up $1-million fund for abuse victims
March 09, 2017
The Archdiocese of Agana, Guam, has set up a $1-million fund to compensate victims of sexual abuse.
The fund was established after 24 people filed suit against the archdiocese, saying that they had been abused by clerics. These charges led to the removal of Archbishop Anthony Apuron, who is himself faced with several counts of abuse and now faces a canonical trial.
Archbishop Michael Byrnes, who was appointed last year to take over leadership responsibilities from Archbishop Apuron, told a press conference that the funds would be made available as soon as the archdiocese could finalize the process of administration. He said that abuse victims could approach the administrator in confidence to receive a settlement.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Catholic Church of Guam Sets up $1M Abuse Settlement Fund (AP)
- Cardinal Burke leaves Guam after taking testimony in abuse trial (CWN, 2/27)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!