Papal nuncio in Dominican Republic removed after abuse charges
September 04, 2013
Archbishop Josef Wesolowski, the apostolic nuncio in the Dominican Republic, has been removed from that post and called back to Rome after reports that he had been guilty of sexual abuse of young people.
A prosecutor in the Dominican Republic said that no criminal complaints have been filed, but acknowledged that Archbishop Wesolowski is under investigation and could face charges.
In Rome, the director of the Vatican press office disclosed that the archbishop has been “relieved of his duties.” Father Federico Lombardi said that the Vatican is now investigating his case, although he declined to speak about the topic of the investigation.
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Prosecutor to probe Vatican-Dom. Rep. pedophilia scandal (Dominican Today)
- Vatican recalls Dominican Rep. envoy over paedophilia accusations (Reuters)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!