Catholic Recipe: Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
Prep Time: N/A
For Ages: n/a
Food Categories (1)show
- Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God, The Octave Day of Christmas
- Feast of the Transfiguration
- Solemnity of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Patronal Feastday of the USA
- Second Sunday of Lent
Also Called: Russian Tea Cakes
These cookies are rolled in powdered sugar after baking, making white cookies to use for various feasts with white symbolism. These buttery cookies just melt in your mouth.
Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir flour and salt together; blend in. Mix in nuts. Chill dough.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough in 1" balls. Place on ungreased baking sheet. (Cookies do not spread.) Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until set by not brown. While still warm, roll in confectioners' sugar. Cool. Roll in sugar again. Makes about 4 dozen 1" cookies.Recipe Source: Betty Crocker's Cooky Book: A Complete Collection--for All Occasions, for Every Taste , Golden Press, 1963Subscribe to Insights...free!News, analysis & spirituality by email, twice-weekly from CatholicCulture.org.
Free eBook: Liturgical Year 2021-2022, Vol. 4