Catholic Activity: Make Your Own Windmill
To the Holy Spirit As the wind is they symbol
so forward our goings.
As the dove
so launch us heavenwards.
so purify our spirits.
As a cloud
so abate our temptations.
As dew so revive our languor.
so purge our dross.
-Christina Rosetti 1830-1894
Celebrate the Holy Spirit's coming with this symbolic craft.
1. Draw diagonal lines across a square of paper.
2. Place a coin in the center of the square and draw round it.
3. Cut along each of the four lines to the edge of the circle.
4. Use a needle to make a hole in the center of the circle. Then make a hole in the corner of each 'sail' as shown.
5. Push a paper fastener through the hole in one sail from underneath. Fold over the next corner and push the fastener through that. Continue until all four corners are bent over (but not creased down) and threaded onto the fastener.
6. Finally, push the threaded paper fastener through the hole in the center. Wrap the arms of the paper fastener around a 12 in. (30 cm) piece of cane.
Activity Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990