Catholic Activity: Easter Garden II
Constructing this model of the empty tomb will engage your children through the Easter season.
1. Fill a shallow dish or tray with soil from the garden or potting compost.
2. Arrange the soil so that there is a hill on one side.
3. Cover the soil with moss, scattered cut grass or sand.
4. Make three crosses with dried twigs tied with sewing thread, and place on the hill.
5. Make a cave in the bottom of the hill for the tomb where Jesus was laid. Place a stone in front of it.
6. Make one or two little holes in the soil and put in small containers such as egg cups and then fill them with water.
7. If you like you can make a path coming from the tomb with gravel. This will remind you of the disciples runnning to the tomb and finding it empty on the first Easter morning.
8. On Easter day put some pretty flowers in the containers and move back the stone from the tomb, showing that it is empty.
Activity Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990