Action Alert!

Coach John Wooden, RIP

By Peter Mirus (bio - articles - email) | Jun 05, 2010

One of the most influential voices in my adult life has been John Wooden, the legendary UCLA basketball coach who died Friday night. I never met the man, but his writing spoke to me very personally, and he unknowingly assumed a mentor's role in my life.

The book Wooden on Leadership (see below) was particularly influential. The wise lessons in that book helped with my personal development and stability, my leadership/management development, and my role as a husband and father. What more can you say than that?

When I checked the news headlines on my laptop this morning, and saw that Coach Wooden had passed, it made me a little emotional. I'm confident that he is in heaven now. He's one that I look forward to meeting when my life reaches its end.

(Note: the Amazon product listing on the left is the Kindle digital version, the one on the right is the hard copy.)

Peter Mirus is a business, marketing and technology consultant who serves as a guiding member of the Trinity Communications Board of Directors. He has served as director of design and/or application development for many key Catholic projects since 1993, assisting such organizations as EWTN, the Knights of Columbus, and the March for Life. A specialist in non-profit organizations, he continues to work regularly on the design mission of CatholicCulture.org.
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

Show 7 Comments? (Hidden)Hide Comments
  • Posted by: dover beachcomber - Jun. 20, 2019 1:01 AM ET USA

That’s a particularly fine concluding question!

• Posted by: KC627 - Jun. 16, 2019 8:20 AM ET USA

Will not Cardinal Cupich himself "have to deal with the judgement seat of God?"

• Posted by: Retired01 - Jun. 15, 2019 2:20 PM ET USA

Phil, you are correct in your arguments and I am glad you provided them, but arguments work with those interested in the truth. Are some cardinals, particularly if appointed recently, interested in the truth?

• Posted by: TheJournalist64 - Jun. 14, 2019 10:05 PM ET USA

I don't think since he has been appointed Archbishop and Cardinal that I've heard a single positive thing that Cupich has done.

• Posted by: MWCooney - Jun. 14, 2019 5:53 PM ET USA

Do not think that the cardinal and his ilk have gone as far as they will in this blatant obfuscation. Soon, it will be said to be praiseworthy for politicians to rebel against the rigid, archaic, hateful rules conveyed by the Church. And then they'll distract their audiences into focusing on more important issues; you know, "the environment," so-called "social justice," etc. Millstones, millstones. Deus non irridetur!

• Posted by: Monserrat - Jun. 14, 2019 3:42 PM ET USA

The malodorous, cacophonous offal continually spewing forth from Eminences Cupich, J. Tobin and their ilk do not deserve comment. Just pray that somehow, miraculously perhaps, they just go away.

• Posted by: - Jun. 10, 2010 5:14 PM ET USA

In the late '70s in Redlands, California, I learned that retiring Coach Wooden was scheduled as a guest speaker. Knowing my husband was greatly impressed by his character and ability I secured tickets for both of us. His Pyramid philosophy "made my heart sing". He was not just a winning coach, he was a heroic man. My husband is a lot like him — gifted with good instincts, talent, grace, and the ability and willingness to share them with others.