By Diogenes ( articles ) | Jun 10, 2005
During the first year of Judith Dwyer's presidency there, St. Xavier University-- which is recognized by the Chicago archdiocese as Catholic-- has:
- hosted its first-ever production of The Vagina Monologues
- denied a pro-life group access to a campus parking lot
- scheduled a presentation by "certified sex educator" Jay Friedman, whose web site provides links to a condom manufacturer, Planned Parenthood, and a "sex toy" store
- invited Sister Margaret Farley-- signer of the infamous "Catholics for a Free Choice" ad published in the New York Times in 1984-- to deliver the commencement address.
Noticing the pattern established by the new president at St. Xavier, Cardinal Francis George has taken which one (only one) of the following steps:
- called Dwyer in for a no-nonsense consultation
- issued strong public statements protesting each of the moves listed above
- asked St. Xavier to make a clear commitment to ensuring that faculty and administrators are committed Catholics, and that Church teachings will be upheld and promoted on campus
- appointed Dwyer to the board of advisers of his major seminary
Do you have to ask?
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!