Down to the Wire: Just $6,062 left to match to win our Challenge Grant. Your gift will still be doubled!
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Convicted war criminal's funeral, scheduled at SSPX chapel in Rome, is not held

Catholic World News - October 15, 2013

After the Rome diocese refused to allow a church funeral for Erich Priebke, a funeral for the convicted Nazi war criminal was held in a chapel of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) outside Rome.

The October 15 funeral for Priebke drew a crowd of protesters, with some shouting “murderer” as the coffin passed by, while counter-protesters gave the fascist salute. Police kept the two groups separate.

Priebke, who was convicted for orchestrating the killing of over 300 Italian civilians in the Ardeatine Caves, died last week at the age of 100. He had never disavowed his Nazi ideology.

CORRECTION: NPR reports that the Priebke funeral was "suspended" because the unruly crowd did not allow for safe passage of the casket. Priebke's remains were taken to an undisclosed location, possibly for cremation.

Additional sources for this story
Some links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:

Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!

Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($55,052 to go):
$150,000.00 $94,948.13
37% 63%
Sound Off! CatholicCulture.org supporters weigh in.

All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!

Show 3 Comments? (Hidden)Hide Comments
  • Posted by: jg23753479 - Oct. 16, 2013 6:30 PM ET USA

    There is scandal here, as another post alleges, but we must be very careful not to confuse the issue. It is legitimate to criticize Kennedy's funeral, but it is anything but legitimate to hint or imply that therefore Priebke should have been afforded a public Catholic funeral. This is especially the case since a Vatican-based prelate helped this murderer (he shot two helpless prisoners with his own weapon), giving him false documents to escape to Argentina in the late 40s. Scandal indeed!

  • Posted by: New Sister - Oct. 16, 2013 3:26 PM ET USA

    He may have repented before he died; let us pray that he did.

  • Posted by: Defender - Oct. 16, 2013 12:35 PM ET USA

    And Teddy Kennedy is responsible for how many abortions, yet the Archdiocese of Boston allowed him to receive a Catholic burial - with the Cardinal in attendance to boot! Talk about scandal.

Fall 2014 Campaign
Subscribe for free
Shop Amazon
Click here to advertise on CatholicCulture.org

Recent Catholic Commentary

The gift of orthodoxy: A mercy and a challenge to mercy November 26
Getting Marriage Right November 25
O Earthly Lord, vouchsafe to us high speed Internet. November 25
No 'Francis effect' in Strasbourg November 25
What Pope Francis told European Parliament, and what Pope John Paul II said November 25

Top Catholic News

Most Important Stories of the Last 30 Days
Pope Francis: Europe seems 'elderly and haggard' CWN - November 25