12 beatification causes advance, including Father Solanus Casey, 2 cardinals
May 04, 2017
In a May 4 audience with the prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, Pope Francis approved the publication of decrees that advance 12 beatification causes.
|Free eBook: Liturgical Year 2022-2023, Vol. 6|
In approving decrees on miracles attributed to the intercession of four venerable Servants of God, Pope Francis paved the way for the beatification of
- Ven. Solanus Casey (1870-1957), the Capuchin Franciscan friar who ministered in Detroit
- Ven. Clara Fey (1815-94), foundress of the Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus, a German religious institute
- Ven. Adèle de Batz de Trenquelléon (1789-1828), the French foundress of the Daughters of Mary Immaculate (Marianist Sisters)
- Ven. Saturnina Rodríguez de Zavalía (1823-96), the Argentine foundress of the Handmaids of the Heart of Jesus
The Pope also approved a decree on the martyrdom (1947) of Lucien Botovasoa, a layman and father in Madagascar, paving the way for his beatification.
Finally, Pope Francis approved decrees on the heroic virtues of seven servants of God, who may now be honored with the title “venerable”:
- Cardinal Elia Dalla Costa (1872-1961) of Florence
- Cardinal Nguyen Van Thuan (1928-2002), who spent years in a Vietnamese Communist prison camp before becoming president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace
- Mother Giovanna Meneghini (1868-1918), foundress of the Ursuline Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Mary
- Sister Vincenzina Cusmano (1826-1894), first superior of the Sisters Servants of the Poor
- Alessandro Nottegar (1943-86), a layman and father who founded the Regina Pacis community in Verona
- Edvige Carboni (1880-1952), an Italian laywoman and mystic
- Guadalupe Ortiz de Landázuri (1916-75), a Spanish laywoman and member of Opus Dei
For all current news, visit our News home page.
- Promulgazione di Decreti della Congregazione delle Cause dei Santi, 04.05.2017 (Holy See Press Office)
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!