Catholic Recipe: New Year Cookies
This is an old Mennonite recipe brought to Canada by Russian immigrants.
1. Dissolve the sugar in the small quantity of water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Leave it to stand for about 10 minutes, until it goes frothy.
2. Add the other ingredients together and stir in the yeast mixture.
3. Add sufficient flour to make a fairly thick batter.
4. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk.
5. Fry spoonfuls in hot oil until golden brown. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
6. When cool, roll in sugar and serve.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990