Catholic Recipe: Pepernoten or Pfeffernüsse II (Peppernuts)
These traditional Christmas cookies are a must.
1. Beat sugar, butter, lemon rind and salt together in a bowl until soft and creamy.
2. Add the milk and then all other ingredients to form a stiff dough.
3. Roll marble-sized pieces into balls and put on to a greased baking tray.
4. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
5. Store in an airtight tin or jar. The peppernoten will keep for several weeks and need to be eaten by the handful.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990