Bishop Paproki's Decee on Implementing Traditionis Custodes
|Free eBook: Liturgical Year 2023-2024, Vol. 3
DECREE IMPLEMENTING THE Mom PROPRIO,
IN THE DIOCESE OF SPRINGFIELD IN ILLINOIS
IN THE NAME OF THE MOST HOLY TRINITY. AMEN.
Whereas the Supreme Pontiff Francis has issued an Apostolic Letter motu proprio On the Use of the Roman Liturgy Prior to the Reform of 1970, Traditionis custodes,, effective immediately upon promulgation in L'Osservatore Romano;
Whereas according to this Apostolic Letter it is the exclusive competence of the diocesan bishop "to authorize the use of the 1962 Roman Missal in his diocese according to the guidelines of the Apostolic See" (Art. 2);
Whereas the "bishop of the diocese in which until now there exist one or more groups that celebrate according to the Missal antecedent to the reform of 1970 is to determine that these groups do not deny the validity and the legitimacy of the liturgical reform, dictated by Vatican Council II and the Magisterium of the Supreme Pontiffs" (Art. 3, § 1);
Whereas the Society of Saint John Cantius was canonically erected by His Eminence Francis Cardinal George, O.M.I., Archbishop of Chicago, as a public diocesan association of the Christian faithful (canon 312, §1, 3°), with juridic personality (canon 313) on December 23, 1999, the memorial of St. John of Kanty;
Whereas an agreement was entered into in accord with canon 271 of the Code of Canon Law between the Archdiocese of Chicago, the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois, and the Society of St. John Cantius for the ministerial services of priests belonging to the Society under the title of the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius on November 10, 2014, the Memorial of Saint Leo the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church;
Whereas Saint Rose of Lima Parish in Quincy, Illinois, was canonically established as a personal parish effective January 1, 2014, for those persons in the Quincy area who have an affinity for the celebration of the sacred liturgy according to the extraordinary form, the pastoral care of which is provided by priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter;
Whereas the Canons Regular of Saint Thomas Aquinas were canonically recognized as a private association of the Christian faithful with juridic personality and with residence in a quasi-religious house in the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois in accord with canons 312 §1, 322 §2, 113 §2, and 608 of the Code of Canon Law on September 29, 2020, the Feast of the Archangels, Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael;
Whereas the diocesan bishop "is to designate one or more locations where the faithful adherents of these groups may gather for the eucharistic celebration (not however in the parochial churches and without the erection of new personal parishes)" (Art. 3, § 2);
Whereas the diocesan bishop is "to proceed suitably to verify that the parishes canonically erected for the benefit of these faithful are effective for their spiritual growth, and to determine whether or not to retain them" (Art. 3, § 5); and
Whereas according to canon 87, §1 of the Code of Canon Law, "A diocesan bishop, whenever he judges that a dispensation will contribute to their spiritual good, is able to dispense the faithful from universal and particular disciplinary laws issued for his territory or his subjects by the supreme authority of the Church."
Therefore, I, the Most Reverend Thomas John Paprocki, by the Grace of God and favor of the Apostolic See, Bishop of Springfield in Illinois, do hereby decree the following:
1. It has been determined that the Canons Regular of the Society of Saint John Cantius, the priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter, and the Canons Regular of Saint Thomas Aquinas do not deny the validity and the legitimacy of the liturgical reform as dictated by Vatican Council II and the Magisterium of the Supreme Pontiffs, and therefore may continue to use the 1962 Roman Missal (Art. 3, § 1).
2. It has been determined that Saint Rose of Lima Parish in Quincy, Illinois, canonically erected for the benefit of these faithful, is effective for the spiritual growth of the faithful and is therefore retained (Art. 3, § 5).
3. Since it will contribute to the spiritual good of the faithful, to the extent that it may be needed, a dispensation is granted from Art. 3, § 2 of Traditionis custodes authorizing the use of the 1962 Roman Missal at the parish churches St. Rose of Lima Church in Quincy, Illinois, and Sacred Heart Church of Saint Katharine Drexel Parish in Springfield, Illinois. Eucharistic celebrations are permitted at these locations using the Roman Missal promulgated by Saint John XXIII in 1962 on any or all days of the year. In these celebrations the readings are proclaimed in the vernacular language, using translations of the Sacred Scripture approved for liturgical use by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (Art. 3, § 3).
4. The priests of the Canons Regular of the Society of Saint John Cantius and the priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter are entrusted with these celebrations and with the pastoral care of the faithful who attend the Masses at St. Rose of Lima Church in Quincy, Illinois, and at Sacred Heart Church of Saint Katharine Drexel Parish in Springfield, Illinois (Art. 3, § 4).
5. Priests who already celebrate Mass according to the Missale Romanum of 1962 in the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois are authorized to continue to enjoy this faculty upon request (Art. 5).
This Decree is effective upon promulgation by publication on the webpage for the Office for Divine Worship and the Catechumenate of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois (www.dio.orgi worship).
Most Reverend Thomas John Paprocki
Bishop of Springfield in Illinois
Reverend Daren J. Zehnle
Given at the Chancery
in Springfield, Illinois
the 19th day of July, 2021
This item 12544 digitally provided courtesy of CatholicCulture.org