The Pakistani shuffle
By Diogenes ( articles ) | Feb 06, 2004
|Free eBook: Making Sense of Society
If you believe everything that Pakistan's President Musharraf says, then you believe:
- Pakistan didn't export nuclear-weapons technology
- Oh, wait, Pakistan did export nuclear-weapons technology, but it was done by a single individual, whose actions were not approved by the government, even though he was a ranking government official
- The government of Pakistan had no idea that, until recently, its top nuclear scientist was making deals with Iran. And Libya. And North Korea.
- But once he was discovered, the man who exported nuclear secrets said he was sorry. What more could you ask?
- So now-- this is the important part-- everything's OK, and we don't have to investigate any more!! Does this remind you of anybody?
Need a clue? Let's imagine that in issuing his pardon for Dr. Khan (the nuclear scientist), Musharraf had written: "Yours has been an effective ministry, sadly marred by illness."
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!