No plans to shelve sex-ed program, says government of Philippines
Catholic World News - June 24, 2010
Countering reports that had circulated earlier this week, the government of the Philippines has announced that it will not stop implementation of a controversial sex-education program in the schools.
Education Secretary Mona Valisno, who had said that her department would delay a final decision on the pilot program to allow for consultations with Catholic Church leaders, has now said that the program will go forward. While the curriculum could be modified and public comments are welcome, she claimed, “I never said anything about stopping it.”
The education department faces a class-action suit, brought by parents with the backing of the Catholic hierarchy, seeking a halt to the pilot program. The plaintiffs charge that the sex-ed curriculum violates parents’ rights and contains material inappropriate for young students. The government has rejected those arguments. “There is nothing immoral about the program,” argued assistant solicitor general Renan Ramos in an appeal for the court to dismiss the suit.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our July expenses ($8,498 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!