packing in the pews
By Diogenes (articles ) | Jul 21, 2010
The Catholic bishops of Louisiana have decided that although citizens would be allowed by proposed new state law to carry concealed handguns, they would not be allowed to carry those weapons in Catholic churches. This means:
- A pious Catholic who is lawfully carrying a pistol as he goes about his daily routine would not be able to interrupt that routine to visit the Blessed Sacrament in a parish church. Or maybe…
- Churches would provide secure lockers in the vestibules, in which citizens could check their handguns. Or maybe…
- Ushers would frisk people coming into church to ensure that they are not carrying weapons. Or maybe…
- Metal detectors would be installed at the doors of all Catholic churches to enforce the bishops’ policy. Or maybe…
- Police officers would check everyone entering the church. (This would happen outside the doors, since the police officers themselves would be armed, and could not come inside.) Or maybe….
- The Catholic bishops had a knee-jerk reaction to a legislative proposal that does not properly concern them.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Progress toward our July expenses ($16,752 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: New Sister -
Jul. 29, 2010 10:28 AM ET USA
Posted by: Hal -
Jul. 27, 2010 2:38 PM ET USA
I'm afraid there will be more of this to come under the leadership of the new Archbishop.
Posted by: eustachius234 -
Jul. 22, 2010 8:11 PM ET USA
It also means that if the president were to visit a church, then his security detail would not be permitted inside.
Posted by: Don Vicente -
Jul. 21, 2010 6:50 PM ET USA
The Catholic churches in Israel all have big signs in front with a big red "X" over the drawing of a gun. The Catholic bishops exclude guns from churches in the Holy Land; why not in Louisiana?
Posted by: Gil125 -
Jul. 21, 2010 2:33 PM ET USA
The last option is, of course, right, proving yet again the adage that when it is not necessary to say anything it is necessary to say nothing.
Posted by: Frodo1945 -
Jul. 21, 2010 12:41 PM ET USA
Uhm.... I agree with your last point.
Posted by: -
Jul. 21, 2010 11:19 AM ET USA
So if Speaker Pelosi enters a LA church with a new abortion-funding bill to sign, that's fine. But if she's packing, by God, we won't let the infidel past the holy water font. Ain't courage grand?