Update on Talking about Touching
By Domenico Bettinelli, Jr. (articles ) | November 25, 2003 1:59 PM
Here's some news about the status of Talking about Touching in Boston.
Archbishop Sean O'Malley has appointed Auxiliary Bishop Richard Malone to form a committee to review the program, a committee that will include opponents and proponents of the program. Eight meetings have been scheduled, although I don't have information on the dates. The Concerned Catholic School Parents group is contemplating having a meeting soon to gather parents and others who are wary of Talking about Touching to encourage them to opt out of the program in their schools and parish religious education programs when it is fully implemented in the spring.
I've also been told (this is thirdhand now) about a priest who approached Archbishop O'Malley about the program last week. He said the archbishop told him that he "wasn't tied to the program" and "if it is harming kids it will be replaced." The priest also assured my source that the archbishop is faithful and orthodox, that he is focused on prayer and holiness, and that all will work out for the best. He also said he has no fears that the archbishop is planning to kick open the door to Voice of the Faithful.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach five million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our final 2013 goal ($27,889 to go, assuming receipt of matching funds):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: -
Nov. 25, 2003 8:01 PM ET USA
I am sure O'Malley is trying to be even-handed in this, not pre-judge, consider all views - and be 'omnia omnibus'. But it also smacks of reinventing the wheel. Much has already been said and written about TaT. Is there really a need for a series of 8 meetings - which will drag on and talk this to death? Actions, not words are in order, Archbishop. "Words to the heat of deeds..."
Posted by: Pseudodionysius -
Nov. 25, 2003 5:26 PM ET USA
Name the last Bishop, made a Saint, who formed a Committee to discern the truth about the nature of objective, moral evil?
Posted by: Phil -
Nov. 25, 2003 4:35 PM ET USA
Wonderful! The archdiocese will form a committee, and the committee will hold meetings. This is no-brainer. The TAT program is disgusting. The archbishop should "review" it himself, and shut it down now. I can only hope it's not true that the archbishop said "if it is harming kids it will be replaced." That's exactly the sort of empty promise the Boston archdiocese has been giving parents for years. Replace "it" with "Father Shanley," and you'll see what I mean.