in the Jesuit tradition
By Diogenes ( articles ) | Dec 09, 2008
The newly elected US Congressman:
- was once a former Jesuit novice, before realizing that his calling was to marriage and a secular career.
- remains an active Catholic layman-- in fact, served a term on the National Advisory Council to the US bishops' conference.
- won a special-election victory over an incumbent who is facing bribery charges.
- is the son of immigrants, whose father spent years in a Communist prison camp.
- has worked primarily as an attorney for immigrants.
- is solidly pro-life.
So why isn't Rep. Anh "Joseph" Cao a poster boy for Catholic activism? Why isn't be being asked to speak on the campus of every Jesuit university in the country? Why aren't editors of America magazine shaking their pom-poms?
And please don't tell me that America editors don't carry pom-poms.
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a current donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!