Jesuit parish cancels Qur’an reading
Catholic World News - June 10, 2011
A Jesuit parish in Charlotte has canceled plans to read the Qur’an from the pulpit on June 26, the feast of Corpus Christi.
“Just having something public is not going to be a big, big deal here, but to have someone come in and read from the Qur’an and to recognize publicly the existence of Islam and to reverence and respect is a good thing for the Church to do,” Father Patrick Earl, SJ, said on May 27. “I’ve heard from Muslim imams about what they and their congregations have suffered just from the fear, the fear of what they call Islamophobia.”
On June 7, Father Earl announced the cancellation of the event; he said that he had been unaware that 2004 Vatican instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum forbade such readings. The document states that “it is strictly to be considered an abuse to introduce into the celebration of Holy Mass elements that are contrary to the prescriptions of the liturgical books and taken from the rites of other religions.”
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
Our Fall Campaign
Progress toward our year-end goal ($57,397 to go):
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: Guest6455 -
Jun. 11, 2011 12:01 PM ET USA
I agree with Steve214: "Christians are being killed all around by Muslims". We cannot even offer a H. Mass in a private house in Saudi Arabia.
Posted by: voxfem -
Jun. 10, 2011 9:58 PM ET USA
Why plan it for the Feast of Corpus Christi? He's already completely explained the Real Presence and there is nothing more to say about it?
Posted by: happycatholicmom8648 -
Jun. 10, 2011 6:15 PM ET USA
Honestly, he shouldn't need a document to tell him that it's wrong.
Posted by: Frodo1945 -
Jun. 10, 2011 5:52 PM ET USA
I have never read that 2004 Vatican instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum but good sense tells me that reading the Qur’an from the pulpit would not be a good idea. However, I think it would be a good idea for a knowledgeable person to tell Catholics what is in the Qur’an, especially how they view Jesus, Christians and Jews. Might open a few eyes. I personally heard the Qur’an read from the pulpit of our Cathedral by an Imam but it wasn't during a Mass.
Posted by: Salome -
Jun. 10, 2011 5:47 PM ET USA
Perhaps he actually took time to read it and find out what it says about 'infidels' but was too politically correct and had to give another reason for the cancellation.
Posted by: Obregon -
Jun. 10, 2011 2:48 PM ET USA
"Father Earl announced the cancellation of the event; he said that he had been unaware that 2004 Vatican instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum forbade such readings." And that is precisely the problem. How can a priest, who celebrates the liturgy daily, not know a major document on the subject emanating from Rome?
Posted by: RobK -
Jun. 10, 2011 2:31 PM ET USA
I know there are good Jesuits out there. Who love Christ and the Church. Why don't they speak up a tad louder? It seems like so many Jesuits and Jesuit institutions struggle against the Church.
Posted by: DrJazz -
Jun. 10, 2011 10:00 AM ET USA
Father Earl was not aware that it is considered an abuse to teach another religion during the Mass? He should ask those Muslim imams why they don't allow the gospels to be read in their mosques!
Posted by: Steve214 -
Jun. 10, 2011 9:57 AM ET USA
Yep, while Christians are being killed all around by Muslims, the REAL problem is that dreaded "Islamophobia"!